Samir

Samir's Critical Corner

I love good writing. Samir's Critical Corner will have reviews on World Literature but you will also find reviews on various subjects like Mathematics or Tai Chi, and on specific niches like Nigerian writers.

South Sea Tales (Oxford World's Classics)
Robert Louis Stevenson
Progress: 122/289 pages

Review: Reading and Criticism by Raymond Williams

Reading and Criticism - Raymond Williams

The premise of this book is to encourage 'intelligent reading', which according to Williams is to read with an open, attentive mind and to also focus on the use of language. Well... he might have been proud of GR then since most of my GR friends read intelligently judging by their reviews. But let's face facts, we're a small school of fish in the vast ocean, and Williams doesn't shy away from expressing the drivel most people read. In fact, the opening chapter analyzes some extracts of advertisements to show the level to which language is manipulated in order to serve a purpose. He then quickly uses this to express the same sentiments in news writing and how all this kind of quick, easy reading perpetuates commercial writing (aka 'entertainment' fiction). There's a lot of merit to his arguments and his down-to-earth analysis, even though this book was published in 1950.

What I could mostly appreciate is the way he encourages readers to read analytically. It's not academia and it doesn't require skills that a regular reader can't acquire. Chapter after chapter, he demonstrates how readers can make better sense of prose and verse by comparing extracts throughout with what he judges as 'good' writing and 'mediocre' writing - and I'm inclined to agree with his assessments here. It's an easy book in the sense that technical jargon is not introduced. Instead, Williams relies on the 'feel' of language and what works, or not. This made the book genuine in that it is indeed for readers seeking to learn how to read more critically, rather than be a treatise on reading like some books end up being.

I would love to see someone publish a book like this today to cover the same topic discussing contemporary fiction, and why the Mtv kids that do actually read shouldn't think YA is the only form of fiction out there. It's my only qualm with this book, that a British writer from a British university references the same classics (Lawrence, Conrad, Orwell...), although kudos that Williams references what was then contemporary in 1950.

A passage that I really liked from the last paragraph in the book:

'Every improvement in reading - the growth of awareness and flexibility and honesty - represents an advance similar, in its smaller degree, to the advance made by the work of a creative artist. For it, too, extends the boundaries of human consciousness and creates again the most permanent of human values. That is why it is a task important in itself, just as literature is important for its own sake. It is an importance that needs no apology, but rather allegiance and application.'

Samir Rawas Sarayji